[PBL Week One] uPro VS TheAJBoo2!

Taped Up Panda's Avatar Taped Up Panda3/27/14 2:41 pm
3/30/2014 2:58 pm
hotguysixpack's Avatar hotguysixpack
TheAJBoo2's Skin: http://www.planetminecraft.com/skin/ali ... -3-week-1/

uPro's Skin: http://www.planetminecraft.com/skin/astronaut-2821218/
Taped Up Panda
Level 32 : Artisan Pixel Painter

Create an account or sign in to comment.

Fanjawi
03/29/2014 11:13 am
Level 21 : Expert Dragonborn
Sorry AJ, but uPro gets my vote.

uPro's skin might use simple shading, but with the colors chosen, and the design of the skin, it works so well together.

I don't really like the green in this palette which is why uPro gets that extra edge. If it wasn't for that green dominating the skin, AJ woulda got that extra edge too.

It's just that the colors in the palette don't work well with the skin that AJ designed. The blue is so calm, while the green is so fresh. If you really understand what I'm saying.
DragonsDungeon
03/29/2014 7:48 am
Level 76 : Legendary Button Pusher
I see a lot of points why AJ's skin could be better.

Now time for my own arguments.

Now shading is Upro's skin just pretty much better. I feel like he managed to use the palette a way that suits his skin amazingly. The fact thatbhe used less colours and shading makes it less messy. I think that is a good part and even though AJ did a nice job, I feel like uPro understood the palette a bit better.

The originality is a bit meh in this situation but i think AJ would win that even though it is a bit meaningsless for my vote.

The design is kinda equal so I'd rather go for how the shading suits the design. And uPro will probably win too. He went for a "simple" design and used a simple shading to rounden the skin instead of spamming shades every where to make it look messy while being ok.

Now there are no "easy road" for this palette. upro went for a path that suited his idea. AJ went out to use the whole palette and it worked fine.

I will vote for uPro as i find it a better skin. AJ did a nice job, and uPro is a hard one as he is a very experienced skinner. Good luck to both of you
PrototypeTheta
03/28/2014 1:59 pm
Level 77 : Legendary Robot
Fair enough then, I've been viewing simple skins here as giving up, but now I think about it, very few have gone for detailed this week. I went detailed very quickly as I knew what my best option was, but I highly doubt anyone else in the bracket (I appear to be the only petrolhead) would have known about said option, nor can I think of another option allowing the same degree of freedom. And even then I may have gone a bit "hectic" so to say.

You aren't the only one who went a lot simpler than I was expecting, so I apologise if I've been bashing.
Knightsundere
03/29/2014 8:10 am
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Cyborg
Just because my personality makes me post this comment, for the record, I think I pulled off a pretty detailed skin while using only two of the colors. So this post isn't spam-

AJBoo: Cool concept, bad color execution.The green with the orange strap melted together; what you should have done was taken the contradictory orange and blue instead, making the shirt and outer layer blue, with the basic skin color being green.

uPro: Overall, a good simple skin. However, in my opinion, you got a bit lazy on the side of the legs and arms. Sure, they weren't meant to be extremely shaded, but at the very least add a highlight 2x2 block of the next color up to give it some depth. Also, you could have added a tiny bit of detail to the jetpack; it looks a bit bland with the border, straight line next shade up, next to that, next color shade up. Maybe go with that crosshatch near the bottom you used for the hands.
Fred
03/28/2014 1:15 pm
Level 59 : Grandmaster Lad
PrototypeTheta
uPro
PrototypeTheta uPro's... Shading is lazy, you only used 2/3 of the colours available. While the design is more understandable, it's very simple, which is not what you want in a skin battle. Hat layer has good form though.

AJ gets my vote.

I only used 2/3 of the colors available, because the green was unnecessary for what I was going for. I also made it simple since the palette was very limited and I would rather go for a simple shaded skin than a, "hectic."

The using 2/3 thing isn't really a drawback, I just think there's merit if you make use of the whole palette.

But I really don't feel simplistic skins are a good idea in a contest, I play the skinning game too, simplistic is a tonne easier to do. That could just be me though...

I get what you are saying, but again the palette was limited. If the second week of PBL's palette that Hawkstormer will make has a lot of different colors I will show a lot of detail, but due to this palette being limited I am going to do a simplistic skin.
Dunlan_Willowbo
03/28/2014 1:02 pm
Level 42 : Master Sailor
uPro for prez 2014
PrototypeTheta
03/28/2014 12:48 pm
uPro
PrototypeTheta uPro's... Shading is lazy, you only used 2/3 of the colours available. While the design is more understandable, it's very simple, which is not what you want in a skin battle. Hat layer has good form though.

AJ gets my vote.

I only used 2/3 of the colors available, because the green was unnecessary for what I was going for. I also made it simple since the palette was very limited and I would rather go for a simple shaded skin than a, "hectic."

The using 2/3 thing isn't really a drawback, I just think there's merit if you make use of the whole palette.

But I really don't feel simplistic skins are a good idea in a contest, I play the skinning game too, simplistic is a tonne easier to do. That could just be me though...
ToadDan
03/28/2014 10:30 am
Level 45 : Master Sheep
AJ's looks like someone puked skittles on an alien. uPro's is not very well shaded, but it looks like an NES character and is well designed. Team uPro!
Fred
03/28/2014 10:09 am
ChileanMiner5
uPro

Easy for you to say. You're biased toward yourself. Who isn't biased toward themself?

Who cares that my skin was simple. The palette was VERY limited. Plus Peyton also made a simple skin, but I will say that he did use all of the colors unlike me but it doesn't matter if I use all the colors or not. The skins aren't based on whether or not you use all the colors, it's the quality. Finally, of course I will favor my skin over his. We are in a competition! Yeah, I will definitely favor the other person's entry rather than my own, because that makes perfect sense! Let me just change my vote for his skin now, because I don't want to seem biased towards mine!
ChileanMiner5
03/28/2014 5:33 am
Level 49 : Master Wolf
uPro

Easy for you to say. You're biased toward yourself. Who isn't biased toward themself?
Dunlan_Willowbo
03/27/2014 7:10 pm
Level 42 : Master Sailor
uPro gets my vote for reasons.
Speedy
03/27/2014 7:03 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Blob
uPro's shading is pretty good, you guys seem to be judging by color count. Just because it's simple, doesn't mean it's not well thought out. AJBoo's is just random and all over the place. I don't see what you guys are talking about, he did pretty awesome.
Fred
03/27/2014 6:58 pm

AJ gets my vote.

PrototypeTheta
03/27/2014 5:42 pm
AJBoo's is... Confusing, I'm not keen on the design, but the technique is pretty good, one of your best skins in terms of technicality.

uPro's... Shading is lazy, you only used 2/3 of the colours available. While the design is more understandable, it's very simple, which is not what you want in a skin battle. Hat layer has good form though.

AJ gets my vote.
hotguysixpack
03/30/2014 2:58 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Answer
Shading is not lazy? Honestly it looks perfectly fine, and simple is again, perfectly fine in a skin battle. It looks fabulous and well executed.
Aethroz
03/27/2014 2:49 pm
Level 25 : Expert Cowboy
Idea: AJBoo
Shading: AJBoo
Design: AJBoo
Implementation: uPro

AJBoo: It looks a little hectic.
uPro: Feels like you took the easy road of a palette battle.

Overall: AJBoo
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome