Ultimate Minecrafting Challenge Mode

Jetra's Avatar Jetra12/14/17 3:25 pm
3 emeralds 97
So, you're new / have come back to the game and, like me, aren't interested in modding your client (or maybe you are). Well, for those of you who want a little enjoyment without burning out, I'm sharing my way of playing the game that's designed to keep me engaged, improve my L337 awesome skillz, and ensure I can get the most out of my time even if it's only for a few hours at a time.

This is going to be for the vanilla version mostly because I'm not that great at learning all the new stuff plus the fact it eventually becomes a game of "have a ton of farms for mats and you spend your days trying to optimize." I get it, but I'm more for running around like a lunatic, often finding myself getting killed.

Anyway, below are the "rules" which are set around certain aspects for my own experience which I'll detail

Main Conditions

- Play on Hardcore
I'm constantly deleting my world if I die, a creeper blows up, or I lose a diamond to lava. This ensures that I have to face the realty that I'm stuck with what I have and to make the most out of it. Before the limit is theoretically infinite, new updates made the game a little bit more finite which adds to the stress of a Perfectionist like myself

- Light Level: Moody
Need to up the danger factor here when I'm going spelunking or running around at night. Having played a lot of Alpha where caves were darker than black, it's a nostalgia trip for me. For those who played with the setting on Bright, this will definitely make you start using more torches before you go diving.

- Completionist Level: Notch
Do all the Advancements and craft at least one of everything that you're able to (finding them in chests, digging them up like Stone Bricks from strongholds, and monster drops count). The game has many items, a lot of them often being unused or underappreciated. Yes, this means wasting your diamonds on a hoe if you have to.

Bonus point if you display them nicely in some museum or something.

- Always be Moving
Not a hard and set rule, this is to discourage plopping down in one spot, making a bunch of farms and calling it a day. While I would suggest not doing staircase mines and only go into caves, sometimes that's not always an easy solution nor the best. As well, this doesn't mean you can't go back to old spots or you have a time limit, this is both to help on the Advancement where you need to visit all of the biomes plus a change of scenery is always nice.

Might want to keep a notepad of coordinates so that you don't lose things. Make it more interesting by using Maps or a Book & Quill.

Bonus points for interesting screenshots.

- Build UP!
I am not the best nor the most creative of builders, but that shouldn't stop me from leaving behind little things like a random path in the middle of a forest, a tower to mark a way, or maybe a little resting hut. Making things while you're exploring and you eventually make your way back is a welcome surprise than just more open, unbroken land. Some objects can be as simple as making farmland and leaving crops to grow by a pond. Fill your world with objects to make it feel more lived in.

Bonus points if you make an entire town or even a city somewhere.

- "Only the Best Arms and Armor"
I am one who despises wasting my iron on digging through rock and useless ore. Another not hard and fast rule, try to use the most useful gear available to you, even if you're digging with a Diamond pick through an entire mountain. If doing a big project, stone is fine, but otherwise try to keep a set of the best tools you can craft available. You're going to be doing a lot of exploring, trust me. Repairing is fine if you want to try to get the most out of them.

- Beat the Wither and Enderdragon
I've beaten the Enderdragon only once on Full Release 1.0 and ever since have used cheats, instakill weapons, or other methods to make the fight pointless. Alongside is that I myself have never legitimately killed a Wither outside of a map which I've forgotten. This is a challenge worthy of any Minecrafter worth their Diamond Pick. Besides, you need that star and Dragon Egg for the Notch challenge.

Optional Conditions

While I'm not one that's going to do these myself, I'm going to toss them in for the sake of if you want a little bit more out of your time.

- Fill a Library with Writing
Build a library with chests, have a ton of Book & Quills and start filling it up with either your own, or copy-pasted stories from books you enjoy reading. This will add a bit more depth and life to your world by giving it that wonder of the written word.

Bonus points if you can add in the entire LotR trilogy XD

- No Sleeping Allowed
Another Alpha player's (and most of Beta) experience is that you must live through the night. You didn't have beds to keep you safe or to skip the night. Deal with the creatures who come for your demise. Also can add a layer of challenge in that Zombies are going to eat all the villagers if you happen to be in the area.

- Live off the Land
The only food you can have is from farms you find or whatever drops out of Zombies. Makes the game more interesting especially if you're doing a nomadic-style gameplay in that you don't have any permanent settlements. You're going to have to get crafty about your hunger and worry about where your next meal is coming from.

- Do this on Large Worlds or Amplified
Are you tired of default? Do you want some different sights or make the world a little more than vast tracts of land and sea? Do the above challenges while setting the world to "Large" or a custom "Amplified." While I could also suggest Superflat, that's a challenge in and itself that doesn't really need any explanation. Reasoning is that "Large Worlds' are often neglected because they're just Default x4 in the X and Y directions while Amplified is treated more like a display of breaking the world.

While this isn't necessarily the best nor the most creative, hope this helps you to try and get some fun out of it when you either have a lot of time or even not enough. The point of these is to give you something to always do without being too demanding of an experience. I lack any sort of attention span so half of these are geared towards me having a goal in mind.

Happy Crafting!
Jetra
Level 39 : Artisan Scribe