Having problems with F3 menu debugs on a laptop? Here's a solution I found!

madamepestilence's Avatar madamepestilence4/18/24 10:40 pm
4 emeralds 66
By default, in Java Minecraft, the F3 menu debug controls cannot be rebound to new controls for some reason. This makes it difficult to switch between menus while using a laptop, or any keyboards that have function layers.

However, I've figured out what the discrepancy is!

I use an Acer Aspire 5 laptop to play Java Minecraft, and this keyboard is incredibly compressed and has multiple function layers, necessitating the use of the Fn (Function) key. This means that to activate the F3 menu (rather than turning my brightness down), I have to press Fn + F3.

With the Debug Profiler, I can easily press Fn + F3 + 1 to toggle it, but I struggle to do the same with the FPS/TPS and Ping menus. As it turns out, the Fn key is the problem!

You can resolve this issue by initially pressing Fn + F3. Once you've already pressed F3, depress the Fn key without depressing the F3 key, and then press the corresponding debug menu number (1/2/3). This allows you to toggle it without entering sleep mode/entering airplane mode/turning brightness down, or becoming unable to toggle it in-game and effectively doing nothing as your laptop attempts Fn + 2/3 instead of interacting in-game.

Full keybinds:

Toggle the default F3 menu: Fn + F3
Toggle the F3 Debug Profiler menu: Fn + F3 + 1 or Fn + F3, depress Fn, press 1
Toggle the F3 FPS and TPS menu: Fn + F3, depress Fn, press 2
Toggle the F3 Ping menu: Fn + F3, depress Fn, press 3

Hope this helps!
madamepestilence
Level 31 : Artisan Artist