๐ŸŒ The PMC Weekly April 17th, 2021chrome_reader_mode

PMC's Avatar PMC โ€ข 4/17/21 11:51 am history
52 emeralds 2.2k 15
4/29/2021 5:27 am
Layton582's Avatar Layton582

This week we saw some particularly interesting Texture Packs. So many, in fact, that we're featuring 4 instead of just 1! We also include an Elven map, a Bedrock map, a skylinerw bossfight data pack, a blog that features details about all of the PMC Pets and more! Have a great weekend!

OFFICIAL EVENTS AND CONTESTS

New!
This week, we launched the new official Mob Skin Contest, Biome Swap! In this contest, your goal is to use a mob from a biome, and re create it so it fits in a different biome! For example, imagine what a creeper would look like if it came from the nether, a blaze if it lived in the snowy tundra biome, a Ghast if it swam under water. You get the idea?! Have fun and be creative in your selection and swap choices. Please make it clear in the title and/or description what biome your mob swapped into.

RESULTS!
The Minecraft But Community Data Pack Event has come to an end. There were a total of 15 entries!

Bertiecrafter, the designer of the data pack frame work and primary organizer/host of the event, wrote an
Event Conclusion, which includes a look at some of the packs that were submitted in the event!
icon

The results of the Love Poem Contest are also in! Congratulations to the winners, job well done! First place winner Giancarlovan gives us an in-depth interpretation and anlaysis of their poem as well as a break down of each stanza. Punkamoar's poem s a historical epic poem about a fictional man who fell in love with the queen Zenobia. A beautifully written poem with a short history of the characters. ohkay brings us on an emotional journey with their poem about love and happiness. If you have a spare moment, be sure to read these poems and check out the final leader board for more!

3rd Place
i fell in love
by ohkay

COMMUNITY EVENTS AND CONTESTS

NEW Community Contests and Events:
๐Ÿ˜ (Skins) TypeTitle + LinkHostDeadline
Themed Contest
Nether Survivor Player Skin ContestFiredReadyBlocksApril 28
Themed Contest
~8-bit Spring Contest~_Astrolol_
April 30
Themed Contest
~angels vs demons~ ~100 subs~BlossomRuna
May 12
Reshade Contest
M'aider, more and more secrets. 300 Subs RCE Contestใ€sonderrr
May 15

COMMUNITY CONTESTS AND EVENTS ENDING SOON:
๐Ÿ˜ (Skins) TypeTitle + LinkHostDeadline
Themed Contest
Wings of Fire
Gxgezfydea
April 26
Themed Contest
๐Ÿช Gαส…αฦˆฦšιฦˆ Gαส…αxแƒง ๐Ÿช| โ˜ฝ~ ๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ ๐’๐ฎ๐›๐ฌ ๐’๐ค๐ข๐ง ๐‚๐จ๐ง๐ญ๐ž๐ฌ๐ญ! ~โ˜ฝMoonAstraea
April 27
๐Ÿท (Mobskins) Type

Palette Contest
Player and Mob Skins Palette ContestSouthDakotaGirl
April 9
Themed Contest  
Superheroes vs Supervillains Mob & Player SkinZappyGru
April 24

Be sure to check out the Community Event Calendar for a complete list of contests and events!

โญOTHER HIGHLIGHTS

FEATURED SKINS
PMC Prom is less than a month away, and some members have already created their skins for the occasion! vonk will be wearing the skin to the right; titled "science fiction romantic", the skin features a beautiful palette and an outfit fit for a prince! This skin is an edit of their persona which you can see here!

JadeFire170 created a collection with Prom skins. There are currently 15 skins in the collection - check them out and use them as inspiration or admire and diamond the ones you like most!
.;* science fiction romantic . pmcprom 2021 *;. Minecraft Skin

FEATURED BLOG

This gem of a blog post by Yomna not only lists all of the PMC Pets, but also includes detailed information about them including First Spawn date, when each of them can be found, and every animation of each pet! You'll also find a global list under all of their information, too so you can see just how many members have found each one!

Fun fact: when we released Topper, we hosted a community collaboration experiment, where we had members animate topper and publish them on the forum thread to be included as Topper's official emotes.

FEATURED PROJECT
Uknownymous just updated her Elven Village of Havara this week to include a free download! This colorful, quaint village is surrounded by walls to protect it from invaders. The first paragraph of the submission states:

"Returning to the Kingdom of Aluran for DnD yet again, this build is for the campaign I'm running for the two people I'm closest to! This is the village of Havara, a small little well-defended village owned by the same Kingdom that controls the much bigger city of Falshire! It's a small village of a little over two-hundred people, situated on a little open grassy plains over a river that runs straight through the city, with walls around it to fortify it against possible threats due to past experiences with attacks in the area, keeping all the citizens safely inside and the farms ready on the outskirts."

Be sure to check out the submission for the entire lore!

The Elven Village of Havara ~ A D'n'D Village Minecraft MapThe Elven Village of Havara ~ A D'n'D Village Minecraft Map

FEATURED BEDROCK MAP
kimandjax latest map takes you on a fun journey with a Minecraft Maze! This maze was not only created to be an interactive map, but also to highlight the power of the incredible features when you have RTX ON! If you do not have the ability to play with RTXon, fear not as she's created this so you can still play without it!

You start in a room with four directions to chose from! Each hallway looks so similar, you will need to think outside the box to figure out where the maze secret is! When you find the secret within the maze, you will be taken to a colorful garden where you'll need RTXon to find which lever is the right lever in the final puzzle!

FEATURED DATA PACK
This week's featured data pack is Skylinerw Bossfight created by Dominexis. This data pack is "heavy in Minecraft Commands lore and inside jokes". The submission states:

"Have you ever wanted to fight Skylinerw? Well today's your day! Now you can locate his mountainous dwelling in the sky and take the fight to him. All you need is a diamond and four iron to construct the Commander's Amulet, the mysterious item which will lead you straight to Skylinerw."

At the top of a mountain, you'll find an arena with a pedastal, where you will insert the Commander's Amulet to summon the boss; the battle begins when you hit a sheep in a cart.

FEATURED TEXTURE PACKS
There were so many amazing packs submitted this week! We got a giggle out of minkydinks Cobra Chickens pack which replaces chickens entirely with Canada geese, including several texture variants and different raw + cooked meat textures in addition to a new model for goslings! ewanhowell5195 amused us with his latest cursed pack, Sheepified Remastered. This pack makes every mob texture into a sheep. Certainly a funny sight.

Daggsy's latest pack, Mushroom Golems adds 4 variations of adorable fungi friends. To spawn these cute critters into your world, you must rename the carved pumpkin as instructed in the submission. You can place any of the models on your head or on the ground with an item frame! Last but not least, we have JustTimms Additions's Custom Additions pack that adds 256 items to the game; you'll find a special Animal Crossing collection of items, some custom items from mario, new outfits, weapons, clothing and so much more.

Canada goose from Cobra Chickens by minkydinks

Mobs from Sheepified Remastered by

Mushroom Golems by Daggsy
Custom Additions by Daggsy

MINECRAFT NEWS
In case you missed it, there was an official announcement regarding the Caves & Cliffs Update. The long anticipated update will now be split into two parts; one to be released in the summer, and one in the winter/during the holidays.

Eventlesstew summarizes the recent 21W15A Snapshot as well as the recent news for 1.17 Caves & Cliffs Update.. Shireen shares her thoughts in a Blog post. What do you think? Join the discussion by visiting the above mentioned posts and let us know!

INTERVIEW TIME

This week's interview is with.....
Captain_JEK! You may know Captain JEK from their small, whimsical vehicles or perhaps their larger, more complex builds. They've been a member of Planet Minecraft for nearly 3 years and has made 326 submissions during their time here. They've inspired many members to think outside the box using a unique technique when building on small scale; using banners, item frames, trapped doors and other blocks to add details. They have over 50 trophies and have participated in several contests and events. We wanted to know more about where they draw inspiration from, their creative process, and what it was they love so much about vehicles!

How did your Minecraft experience begin?

I attended a physics seminar in 7th grade with a friend of mine where we met a guy who played Minecraft during the breaks. For some reason it was extremely mesmerizing watching him build a mob farm. Not long after I got Minecraft myself and built my own mob farms.

Do you still play Minecraft?

Yes, every time I’ve got a good idea for a build.

Are you working on any Minecraft projects?

Yes, but it heavily depends on the ideas I have.

Sometimes, the blockiness of Minecraft becomes all too apparent as well and I need to take a break from looking at blocks all the time.

Some people would consider you the pioneer in small scale vehicle builds. What inspired you to create small, whimsical vehicles like this?

I wanted my vehicles to be useful and immersive. I wanted that if I you stand next to a vehicle of mine you get kind of the same feeling as you would get if you stood next to it in reality.

To achieve this, the Minecraft vehicle’s size had to be close to the real vehicle’s size.

What’s interesting though, a block in Minecraft is supposed to be a cubic meter in reality but it feels much smaller than a real cubic meter. If you stand next to a 1000 litre water tank in reality (which is very close to a cubic meter) you will notice how big it is. Blocks in Minecraft don’t feel that big.

This is the reason why I build my vehicles slightly bigger than 1:1. So, I don’t build my vehicles to be accurate in size but to convey a convincing feeling.

You also build some large scale vehicles. Was this a progressive transition? How did you learn to build on such large scale after building on such small scale for so long?

Honestly, it wasn’t that much different. I built my large vehicles pretty much the same way I build my small vehicles because my large vehicles also are built on a 1.5:1 or even 1:1 scale.

My large vehicles also should feel realistic in size when you stand next to them. This means that they need all the little details like bolts, knobs or handles just as much as the small vehicles.

So, I used the same building techniques as for small vehicles. I just had to fill a larger volume.

Is your approach/creative process different when building small as opposed to large?

When I build large machines I often build the parts that would move as one piece first and „assemble“ them later with World Edit.

Engels from my submission „Marx and Engels“ is the best example for this because it has many moving parts. I built many of Engels’s parts separately in midair before I copied and „mounted“ them to the torso or the part they were connected to.

When I build small vehicles I don’t need to subdivide them, I can build them as a whole right away.

Which style do you prefer to build (small or big)?

Both are fun in their own way.

Building small vehicles is fun because you get rewarded with something cool to look at much quicker but sometimes I’d like to work on an ongoing project that I can add to day after day and I really enjoy seeing it grow.

It always is a little bit sad when it’s finally finished and there’s nothing left to add. It’s like leaving a person you’ve spent a lot of time with. The vehicles develop something like their own personality.

What exactly is it about vehicles that you like the most? Why do you gravitate towards this specific genre of building?

I like the idea of a journey, of constantly being on the move. But I would also like to have some sense of security. Vehicles support you on your journey, give you shelter in bad weather or protect you from angry animals, they let you go where you couldn’t have gone by foot.

I guess this is why I like vehicles in general.

In the particular case of building vehicles are so great because they can have almost any size, shape or color so I can build something different every time. However, they still are influenced by gravity most of the time, so their structure has to make sense somehow. They’re not as much freestyle as spaceships for example, but these small boundaries like the influence of gravity actually help with making a vehicle look good because the brain likes things that make sense.

Do you like cars in real life? If yes, share with us your favorite one :)

I’m not so much into cars but I really like semi trucks, especially custom Peterbilts. They just look so good.
Cars are a little too small in my opinion, I’d rather be operating something heavy.

PMC Questions
What is it that you enjoy most about Planet Minecraft?

The chill atmosphere and everyone’s openness. Nobody pressures me to do anything, I can just be here and do whatever I’d like to do whether it’d be looking at what other people have made or showing off my own creations or reading the forum headings just to see what crazy things people discuss again.

Which PMC Pet is your favorite?
Bumbee because it looks adorable how it floats in the air vertically eating honey.

You’ve participated in several contests, being a finalist in 8 of them and landing third place in the Superhero & Supervillain Homebase Project Contest. Which Contest was your favorite?

The Space Exploration contest because I got to build the Kapisi which is one of my favourite vehicles of all time.

The Homebase contest actually was my second favourite because the theme almost asked for a mobile base so I knew immediately what to do and devising what the truck would look like was fun as well.

The Nether contest was cool, too because I could just build something crazy that ties in with the story. I generally like it if contests have a story involved because it gives me some guidance for what to build.

You also submit several entries into the Events we host. Which seasonal event do you enjoy the most?

I enjoy the winter event the most because there always are snow or winter related vehicles I didn’t build yet, so I can always contribute something to the event.

Second best is the summer event because it’s harder to find summer related vehicles but it's still possible.

Finding vehicles that are specifically related to spring or autumn is much more difficult, though.

I’d rate autumn third because sometimes I get an idea for a Halloween vehicle but I rarely know what do do for the spring event, so that one's last.

How did you choose your username?

I liked steampunk for a long time and tried to create a steampunky name. Since airships are common in steampunk airship captains are as well. Also, I liked the idea of being an airship captain. That’s where the Captain came from.

JEK are the first letters of my three real names and I thought it would be a nice play on words if I called myself Captain_JEK because it sounds like Captain Jack Sparrow’s name from Pirates of the Caribbean whose eccentricity and unexpected genius I admire.

What PMC submission are you most proud of? Why?

Definitely the Kapisi because it is the largest vehicle I have ever built. I also used some building techniques for the first time there, for example the wall shading inside the hangars to make the lighting appear more realistic. I didn't build many angled things before, so the runway across the Kapisi's deck was new, too.

On another note it is one of my favourite vehicles of all time because it embodies the idea of a journey into the unknown so well.

Not to mention the designers from Blackbird Interactive did such an amazing job on the Kapisi’s design. It looks so awesome from every angle. That’s pretty rare. And I love the concept of a land-based aircraft carrier that’s literally a rolling fortress. If I could be anything I wanted, I’d be captain of the Kapisi (or another Sakala-class carrier).

Is there a specific member that inspires you or you look up to? Who/Why?

There are a few but I guess the most important ones are CraftyFoxe because he made me believe that everything can be built in Minecraft, no matter how small it is, Yazur because he made the best looking trucks I have ever seen and Spazza27yt Tutorials because he was a great inspiration to me when I started making vehicles. He is very good with small vehicles like motorcycles, too.

Fun Questions
What other video games do you enjoy playing?

Games I played and enjoyed besides Minecraft in no particular order:

Bioshock: Infinite
Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak
Factorio
Planetside 2
Tera
GTA V

Games I didn’t play but watched entire let’s plays just to experience the story:

Nier: Automata
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Portal 1 and 2

What genre of music is your favorite? Do you listen to music while you’re creating in Minecraft?

I listen to many genres of music. The most prominent ones are Future Bass, EDM, Melodic Dubstep, House, Glitch Hop, Chillstep, Rock and Pop, I guess.

Yes, I always listen to music when I’m at my computer. It helps me block out the world around me and live in a fantasy world far, far away.

Describe yourself in 3 words!

Contemplating literally everything

Do you have any pets?

Yes, a cat that sleeps almost as much as me.

Are there any hobbies outside of Minecraft that you have?

Sleeping. A lot of sleeping xD

Is there any new skill that you’ve been wanting to try, but haven’t had the chance to yet?

No, not really. The skills I have were sufficient for everything I wanted to do so far.

Favorite quote or words of wisdom for the community?

Be curious, learn as much as you can about as much as you can because knowledge is power.

Anything you'd like to add?

Thanks for giving me this opportunity to talk a little about myself. Have a great day!
PMC
Support
Level 100 : Transcendent Cake