Announcing PMC Jams!palette

Cyprezz's Avatar Cyprezz10/7/22 4:00 pm history
125 emeralds 3.3k 68
2/1/2023 4:56 pm
Sushifox's Avatar Sushifox

Get ready to join, enter and host Jams!

We've just launched community Jams in closed beta. Everyone is invited to join and eventually you can host your own. Creative minds inspiring creativity that everyone can enjoy. Mmmm Jams.

group_work What are Jams!?

Jams are community hosted open events and contests designed to challenge and award creative content around a common theme. The community has been manually managing community events via threads for years. Now it's going to be much easier for everyone to host, discover, join, rate, award, promote and push our creativity in new ways.

When we're out of closed beta, members level 5+ will be able to host their own content jams. You can choose whether it's ranked or unranked, who can judge, what content type(s) are accepted, the rating criteria and customize your jam profile to match your theme. Hosts can easily manage and review entries. Rated jams will produce ranked results and all jams will give out trophies!

All jams have an auto generated info widget that summarizes all of the vital information about it from its kind, what content is accepted down to who judges AND converts and presents the next deadline into your local time and in a countdown format. Yeah for clarity and consistency!

There's so much to cover, visit the official Jams FAQ group dedicated to answering questions and introducing everyone to the many features for hosts and the community at large.

Browse the current Jams calendar and consider joining upcoming events or entering live jams.

bug_reportClosed Beta?

Jams are complex from initial creation through the many phases and interactions with the hosts, community and platform itself. There are many new systems working together that can break in small and potentially large ways. We're considering this a closed beta phase to limit the number of jams that might need to be fixed while testing the new systems. If you notice any bugs, please report via tickets.

We can't wait to open this up to everyone because that is where jams are really going to shine. Thanks for your patience and if you're planning on hosting one in the future, you can start planning the theme, graphics and profile by getting familiar with what is possible via the FAQs in the jams group.

Bonus Legacy Jams!

All prior contests and events were carefully converted into the new jam format preserving history, ensuring that jams cover everything we've done in the past and showing what the new system brings to the table. Psst, if you browse the results pages of past jams, you can now sort them by their individual criteria ratings!

The best way to browse older jams is via the card listing format of the jams calendar.

live_help Feedback, Suggestions, Questions

We're excited to see what the community does with jams!
What do you think?!

Cyprezz
Admin / Lead Developer
Level 71 : Legendary Cyborg

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/01/2023 4:56 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Procrastinator
Sushifox
i can figure out how to rate the entries of my own jam?
i clicked "rate entries" by the countdown but it just takes me to the list of entries and im not sure what to do next.
sorry if this sounds stupid lmao but i am seriously stuck
01/14/2023 5:07 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Botanist
Lyra_Capricorn
How do I delete a Jam that I never published? I've searched through everything, and can't find the answer!
01/08/2023 7:14 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Elf
PersonWhoPlaysMinecraft
Hi! I have a quick question: can people edit/resubmit their entry for a ranked jam? Like, if they make one entry, but then realize they don't like it and want to make a new entry, can they swap or are they stuck with the original? From reading the FAQs I couldn't tell whether or not that was possible.
Thank you!
01/09/2023 10:05 am
Cyprezz
Yes, they can edit as many times as they like up until the entry period ends. They can also remove it from jam and replace it with an alternative.
01/09/2023 10:10 am
Level 71 : Legendary Elf
PersonWhoPlaysMinecraft
Okay, thanks again!
12/23/2022 4:23 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Dereke
turned out very cool[img title='Значок "Перевірено спільнотою"' width=16 height=16]blob:www.planetminecraft.com/de1061c2-bd28-4d73-b62d-7f894a8cb560[/img]
12/08/2022 8:13 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Procrastinator
yogurt_the_lizorb
How do you delete a jam that is still a draft?
12/09/2022 1:17 pm
Cyprezz
1. Go to your jam page.
2. Click "Jam" on the profile bar
3. Scroll down and click "Cancel the Jam"
12/09/2022 5:29 pm
yogurt_the_lizorb
Not cancel it, i mean like deleting the jam entirely.
12/06/2022 4:01 pm
Level 69 : High Grandmaster Witch
Karaoke
(EDIT: maybe this should have been a suggestion ticket, oops)

Can we have some way to differentiate PMC Jams from user created Jams?
//I'm not sure if it was intentional design to have them look exactly like everyone elses, probably was, but I'm still going to throw this out there --

Maybe the official contests can have a different colored card/bar (depending if you're doing calendar view or browsing cards), or with an official stamp of some nature like the PMC planet icon somewhere? A sort option would be nice as well. Currently Jams is flooded with user creations and it would be hard to tell the difference without clicking on a ton of contests to verify.

Here's some rough mock ups to illustrate what I'm talking about:

12/07/2022 10:53 am
Cyprezz
Yeah, think I'd make the indicator a "stamp" on both the calendar and card views. Can also add a filter for them but it wouldn't be lumped into the status.

Will make those tweaks before the next official contest which is likely to be in January
12/07/2022 11:18 am
Level 69 : High Grandmaster Witch
Karaoke
12/01/2022 12:36 pm
Level 65 : High Grandmaster Goblin
r a i n b o w
Is there any way of editing what you have written in the overview section (I made a typo in one of my Rating Criteria!)?
12/01/2022 3:51 pmhistory
Cyprezz
Yep, all settings can be edited.

1. Go to your jam page.
2. Click "Jam" on the profile bar
3. Scroll down and click "Modify Jam Settings"

As the jam progresses through phases, various settings are locked down or restricted but you'll be able to fix your typo.
10/10/2022 4:49 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Skinner
Swap_Cake
jelly?
10/21/2022 6:30 pm
Level 28 : Expert Lego Builder
Winters_Bane
preserves?
10/10/2022 11:00 am
Level 54 : Grandmaster Artist
CORRUPTRO HUNTER CAT

YESSSS WOOOOOOOO

10/10/2022 10:54 am
Level 55 : Grandmaster Sus
SagXD
Woah
10/10/2022 10:47 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Skinner
HydroFox13
Wow!!
10/09/2022 7:00 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Professor
MrHiglin
Oh my god. Thank you so much bro, we've been waiting for this for years!!!!!
10/09/2022 4:49 pm
Level 53 : Grandmaster Toast
InnerToast
it was hard to get contests done through threads. best change ever, might make a texture pack jam!
10/09/2022 11:52 am
Level 40 : Master Princess
itsgen_
Great idea <33
10/09/2022 11:09 am
Level 55 : Grandmaster Sweetheart
Spongie
awesome
10/09/2022 9:46 am
Level 48 : Master Fox
The OG Kinder Jar Kins
🎵🎵🎵🎵
10/09/2022 7:15 am
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Senpai
Stubbs1
This is epic! :D
10/08/2022 10:33 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Creeper Hugger
Mrfis Studio
Ima participate
10/08/2022 12:34 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Loremaster
IGEBM
So excited
10/08/2022 12:05 pm
Level 72 : Legendary Stack
FishStacks
these look cool
10/08/2022 7:10 am
Level 74 : Legendary Lumberjack
FunkyToc
nice feature !!
10/08/2022 4:58 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Dragonborn
litex
How to organize Jams?
10/08/2022 12:34 pm
Cyprezz
At the moment, jams are in closed beta. After a few are under our belt, we'll open them up for level 5+ members to create, host and organize and that's when it should really come alive and make the jam calendar much more interesting to browse.
10/09/2022 5:15 am
litex
ok
10/09/2022 5:17 am
litex
i'm talked about how i can organize in the future
10/08/2022 4:18 am
Level 29 : Expert Pig
Axel-Ottl
JAM!?!?!

WHAT ABOUT JELLY???

smh

very cool though
10/08/2022 3:52 am
Level 72 : Legendary Pixel Painter
Nighthearted
Neat! So is this going to replace the old contest and event format going forwards?
10/08/2022 12:26 pm
Cyprezz
Yes!
10/08/2022 3:49 am
Level 50 : Grandmaster Wizard
Flyrr
Are judges (obviously not the owner) allowed to submit to jams they’re judging?
10/08/2022 12:32 pmhistory
Cyprezz
They are but they can't rate their own submission. Think for the most part, judges are not going to enter their own jam when there is an official judge team. Hmm.

There are 4 different judge modes to choose from:

I suppose we could prevent official judges from entering the jam but you can see how the other modes specifically allow it. So it wouldn't change there.
10/08/2022 12:36 am
Level 47 : Master Gent
Cirxett
Exciting!
10/07/2022 10:27 pmhistory
Level 51 : Grandmaster Vampire
SouthDakotaGirl
This is so awesome! I'm excited to see how it changes contests for the better!
10/07/2022 10:03 pmhistory
Level 75 : Legendary Sus
Nitgo
My feed back so far:
• I think the idea of allowing the community to create events and contests in a more official way is a great idea.
• I also like the idea of a live count-down and a calendar.
• However, putting website contests and events alongside community made ones would get quite confusing. To be honest I don't know even know why the contest, and event pages have been removed to begin with. They worked fine.
• I also find it odd that they're placed in group pages, as opposed to the old page design for contests and events. Unless it's just a beta thing then I would suggest to keep the old page layout for events and contests.

Great work, keep it up 💯
10/08/2022 12:24 pmhistory
Cyprezz
Thanks.
The old contests and events were converted for a few reasons:
  • Make sure community hosted jams and our future official jams could do everything we've done in the past.
  • Provide extremely valuable real world testing data while developing jams.
  • Populate our jams system and allow cross promotion via our jams widgets. Here's yours. It would be empty right now if I didn't convert old, now it presents your and everyone's past participation.
  • Eliminate what would have been two dead sections (contests & events) since all future official and unofficial contests & events are going to be in the jams system. We would have had contests, events and jams.... would have been very confusing to new and existing members.
  • New jams system breaths more life & exposure to past contests & events which are full of high quality content.
  • The challenge of doing it.

Jams extend groups which extend members. The three systems are combining years of work to allow the greatest amount of flexibility, control and consistency between them all. Small example, you know how to customize your profile as a member... so you know how to customize group profiles and your mainly learning how to manage roles and collaborate. Well, now jams are brand new but will be "easy" to use to anyone that has customized their profile or worked with groups. While FAQs were developed for groups they will be very useful for some Jams. The benefits are compounding. Without even launching a Jam, you have a good idea of what is possible with the profile except jams allow unique widgets, moderation plus full profile theme customization. You just have to learn the new and fun stuff.
10/08/2022 1:01 pm
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Bear
Silabear
pmc.com? heh

I think that we could still keep official website jams as “special” or “pinned” jams. That way they are easy to see and won’t get lost alongside other jams. I also think that admins or staff being able to manually promote jams that seem interesting might also be interesting… but some people might try to bargain/get upset if theirs wasn’t included
10/08/2022 10:19 pm
Cyprezz
Oops, fixed url. That's what we rewrite for local dev.

Also, already have field for legacy, official, community, etc but just haven't worked it into visible filters yet.

I really like having official jams with unofficial and by default, that's how it will be. I know many unofficial jams will be more interesting than our own but understand wanting a filter to distinguish. Let the jams begin type vibe. May the best be participated in.
10/08/2022 2:55 am
Level 41 : Master Nerd
Kefaku
I would suggest to keep the old page layout for events and contests

Agreed. Probably just because we're so used to Events/Contest, cuz they have been there for years.
10/07/2022 9:51 pm
Level 44 : Master Procrastinator
SoapSoapSoap
THANK you so much FOR THIS!!! if only you're doing this before September..
10/07/2022 9:10 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Enchanter
YOOOO SOO COOL!
10/07/2022 9:08 pm
Level 53 : Grandmaster Mlem Mlem Bat
Angelonasher
what do i think?

this is very very cool
10/07/2022 8:26 pm
yogurt_the_lizorb
yummy
10/07/2022 7:46 pm
Level 68 : High Grandmaster Paladin
LogMaiden
Looking forward to trying out this system!
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome