Sniffer Texture Changing Help (MCreator)

Drake__archer's Avatar Drake__archer4/20/24 4:41 pm
2 emeralds 95
*IMPORTANT*:
Just so you all know, I am doing all of this in MCreator.

I want to make a Minecraft mod in MCreator that improves Sniffers, and 3 of the ideas I have involve their textures changing.

Idea #1:
When a Sniffer is in any biome where it can snow, (Snowy Tundra, Snowy Taiga, ect.), and it is currently snowing, they will gain a new, snowy coat, (this also goes for Snifflets).

The coat isn't just visual, as you would be able to right-click them with a Shovel to get 1-3 Snowballs and remove the snow.

The snow would also melt away if they are in:
Light strong enough to melt snow, (which is a light level of 12 or higher)
Water
Rain
Any biome that Snow Golems take damage in, (including the Nether)

Idea #2:
When a Snifflet, (or a baby Sniffer), hatches out of a Sniffer Egg, it won't have the green fur that the adult version has, just the red fur.

But when they grow into adults, their textures change to the normal Sniffer texture.

Idea #3:
If you rename a Sniffer to "_", (I haven't thought of a name-based easter egg yet), it's texture will change to look like _, (maybe you guys could give me an idea for a name-based easter egg?).

As you can see, all 3 of these things involve changing the texture of a vanilla mob..

I know you can already do this by having a texture of the same name in the mod's assets or by killing it and spawning the new mob, I don't want to do either of those options, (because the first option wouldn't work at all, and the second would be really clunky, and break any compatibility with any other mods).

If this would require custom code to do, that would be fine, as long as it's not a lot.

I would want the _ texture to have a higher priority than the snowy and baby textures, but the snowy texture would also work with the baby.

Just so you know, I already have a snowy texture, baby texture, and snowy+baby texture.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

P.S, an idea for a name-based easter egg for the Sniffer would be great also!
Drake__archer
Level 10 : Journeyman Modder