Distant Horizons and shaders - Forge 1.18.2

Ethonodon's Avatar Ethonodon2/29/24 11:26 pm history
2 emeralds 1.8k
SO, recently I've been setting up a forge 1.18.2 modpack, and I thought distant horizons would make a really great addition to the mix. However, I still really wanted to play with shaders. Upon hearing that shaders and distant horizons were now supposedly playing nice, I decided to give it a try myself. Knowing that the shader compatibility is MOSTLY 1.19+ and on fabric, I knew I would encounter some issues, HOWEVER, I think I am VERY, VERY close to making shaders and distant horizons play nice on forge 1.18.2.

I'm running the version of Complementary Reimagined shaders that are designed to work with DH. Using OptiFine U_H9, initially it seems like they work great. The lods load, they look fantastic, the shaders themselves look great, they mesh well with the lods, etc. Until you look at grass or leaves at certain angles, when you can see through the world ON the grass and leaf textures, as if xraying. It's very weird and difficult to describe, so I'll attach pictures and video.

So that's problem number one.

Problem number TWO is that when you're underwater, looking at a wall or floor of any sort will also act as if you are xraying, casting a "shadow" of the cave system layout around you as if it's burned into your character's retinas. This effect goes away upon leaving the water.
THIS issue I SOLVED by turning off light shafts. THE PROBLEM WITH THIS is that light shafts look really cool, and I don't want to have to turn them off :(

SO, my issues here:

The grass/leaf issue: No clue what's going on. No clue how to fix it.

The water issue: Something to do with light shafts. Dunno what. There's a fix but I don't like it.

I should also state that I first attempted to use rubidium + oculus and then embeddium + oculus. Both resulted in shaders just not loading lods at all.

If anyone can provide any help, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Water issue

Grass/leaf issue

Ethonodon
Level 1 : New Miner