Tics / Tourettes's - what's it like?

YokaiS's Avatar YokaiS5/2/24 10:49 am
2 emeralds 81
TRIGGER WARNING this forum will be open to personal experiences and will probably include sensitive topics :)

May 15th to June 15th is Tourette Syndrome Awareness month and it's coming up soon!

I've had a tic disorder for around four years now, and was diagnosed with Tourette Syndrome last year. I only know one other person at my school who has the same thing as me. It disrupts my life but it's a difficult thing to talk about because I can't find anyone who I know would really understand or be accepting of this condition.

So this got me curious - how much of the PMC community has/had a tic disorder? I'd like this to be an open discussion about anything tics so maybe we can spread more awareness!

If you have had tics, try to describe the sensation you feel from the premonitory urges. Is it like a shiver, a sneeze, some electricity flowing through you? What are some social situations you believe are unique to you from your tics?
If you don't have tics, I want to know what you do know about tics. How much have you heard of it? Do you have friends or relatives who have it, and how have you supported them?

I'LL START!
my description of tics & my experience
The best way I'd describe tics is that it feels like a shiver travelling all the way up your spine. Then it feels like it combines with your intrusive thoughts to "map out" what the tic is going to look like. Then there's a burst of energy that makes the movement or sound.

One of my most bothersome tics is where I would reach my hand over to someone near me to try to touch them. Usually my hand would head to the shoulder, sometimes to the legs. When the tic happens it would look like I'm about to violently slap the person, but I would use all my willpower to stop myself from touching them.

I trust PMC that everyone would be respectful of the disorder, but I'll mention just in case that this is a serious condition, detrimental for many people's lives. Hurtful comments will not be tolerated!
YokaiS
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Senpai